Wednesday, September 9, 2009

TV Review: 9021No.


90210 came back from the grave, or wherever it is that cancelled TV shows go and now it's back for its second season. Hot guys and scantily clad girls rampaging wild and loose in Beverly Hills, yeeeeee!! Wait. What's with all the suck??




"FAIL. Whomp whomp."

90210 should work. It's got all the makings of a hit teen drama and the advantage of a template that it can shamelessly abuse. However, as shallow as the genre is purported to be, teen drama is evidently more than just the sum of its parts. 90210 is almost a parody of what it's trying to be. You can almost hear the writers and producers scratching their heads as they attempt to grasp the inner workings of a teenager's mind and the "whomp whomp" as they fail miserably.

The show's leading ladies are legitimately gorgeous, especially queen bee Naomi, played by AnnaLynne McCord, whose venomous facial expressions are something every self-respecting gay boy should be practicing in the mirror. But all the slow-motion scenes of the girls in itsy bitsy bikinis at the private pool club or strutting the school hallways in chic ensembles (Silver looked fabulous, didn't she?) isn't enough to overlook the show's stunning lack of decent dialogue. Wait, maybe 'decent' is too high a standard? How about any dialogue at all?? None of the characters actually talk to one another; there is only self-absorbed ranting that no one onscreen actually pays any attention to. 80% of the forced, contrived drama that will indubitably be rehashed on the show until at least January could have been resolved in the first episode if any of the characters cared to actually carry on a conversation.

"Every self-respecting gay boy should practice Naomi's stank faces in the mirror."

Also, what's with all the plot devices coming at you with the speed of an old granny in a walker? Annie, troubled by her deep, dark secret, pushing her friends and family away and turning to sex and alcohol? Called that, saw it on Degrassi five years ago. Naomi, jumping from man to hideous, double-chinned older man to keep her mind off the (smoking hot) guy who wronged her last season and, surprise!!, has enrolled in all of her classes this year? Yeah, not surprised. And what's with all the disingenuous histrionics? One day, Silver has no idea whether she wants to be with Ethan or Dixon, the next she "can't breathe, can't breathe" *rolls eyes* because she knows it's Dixon now but he doesn't want to be with her, and the next the bitch is totally fine and absolutely WERQing a fierce outfit down the halls of her school (seriously, that belt was fire). Spare me. Oh, and another thing: does it have to be so blatantly obvious that none of these people are remotely close to 16??

"90210 is great except for the complete lack of dialogue and miserably predicatable plot developments. Sorry."

I'll give the show another shot next week in the hopes that Naomi will make another stank face and Liam will take his shirt off for some reason, but, unless Ethan and Tabitha both come back to the show and start making out with each other, I almost certainly won't be following 90210 this season. There's just too much else on this year.

Rating: 4/10

Think I was too harsh? Did you absolutely love it?? Sound off! Leave me a comment.


10 comments:

concerned reader said...

You are a moron. Go back to watching Gossip Girl with the rest of the idiots.

brandon said...

Hey, relax bud. I don't mean to tick off the fans but, I gotta call 'em like I see 'em. Do you have a problem with any of my criticisms in particular?? Calling me a moron is a pretty weak defense of the show. =/

P.S. While Gossip Girl has its moments of mediocrity, I do think it's a better show overall.

Moy said...

All I can say is: ITA with your review. This show is a poor parody. Everything looks so forced: The dialogue, the acting, the storylines. Nothing has its own voice and I'm sorry, but gorgeous girls can't carry a lack of substantial plots for another whole season. But maybe there's still a slight chance for it to improve.

brandon said...

Hey, thanks a million, Moy!! "concerned reader" had me feeling like a jerk, haha.

Unknown said...

The first episode of the new season took a lot to get used to. It seemed like a huge change from where the last season left off. I really loved the old opening music and video, but the new one hasn't grown on me yet, but that's only one episode in. I'm just not sure how I feel so far, because this first episode seems like they've gone in such a different direction to what they did last season.

I do not agree with a harsh critical rating. The show is fantastic and the first season was a million times better than the majority of programmes in this genre on television. Some of the stories in the first season were fantastic, along with numerous brilliant characters that were actually likable and hateable in some cases. I'm worried they may be taking a different direction with new writers and thus just forgetting a lot of what actually happened in the first season. It seems like they've just tried to change the entire Silver character over night, a character that over the first season was IMO one of the best characters on yearly television. They had the perfect combination in the first season, so I pray they don't blow it this season through stupid writers. This show is fantastic when it's at it's best.

Unknown said...

Also, sorry for the double post, but to add to something else you said about hoping Ethan would return. That's the one person I hope to never see again. I don't enjoy his acting and personally to me he's someone to simply cant get behind, he's just not likeable. I hated that they had Silver actually have that moment with him like that, her relationship with Dixon was one of the top highlights of the show. Ethan is certainly someone I wont miss if he stays away.

brandon said...

Hey, I hear you, Johnny. I knew there was at least one point last season where Naomi, Silver, and Adrianna all hated each other, but since I wasn't an avid watcher, I just figured I had missed something. But, try not to take my judgments too harshly; I'm not appraising the entire show, just this season's premiere and the direction it seems to be heading in.

And I was only half-serious about Ethan coming back, haha. Though you can never have too much eye candy, he was kind of socially-challenged, huh? Still, you gotta admit, Ethan and Tabitha gettin' it on would be must-see TV!

Thanks for your opinion =]

Anonymous said...

i want to lick honey off of Teddy's muscular body and then bite those big juicy lips

brandon said...

Alright, 'anonymous'!! I love the debauchery!!

Personally, I really thought Teddy was a new teacher or something when I first saw him playing tennis. He really looks 30.

...That said, yeah, I'd like to do those things as well...

Anonymous said...

Teddy can be a "whatever" don't care his age, just what he looks like... I just enjoy looking at him and my lower regions love the visual stimulation for later.